Friday, March 20, 2009

Not Your Mama's Blender

When the average person hears the word "blender," they think of those kitchen devices that can either make great smoothies or turn your hand into a thick red paste. But chances are that if you're a techie like me, the free 3D modeling software Blender is the first thing that comes to mind.

When I first used Blender many years ago, I was still a young adult... I'd say 19 or 20. I was excited that DirectX was coming to Visual Basic 6.0, so I started looking into making my own 3D models so I could start making 3D games. As I looked at the prices for some of the high-end 3D modelers, I was taken aback. Some were $3,000 US. I even found one that cost around $10,000 US. A very ghastly situation when you don't come from money and have a bottom-tier job.

Among the more reasonably priced options I found was Blender - a totally free and open-source software suite for 3D modelers. Of course, when I first tried Blender, I was confounded by the interface. I couldn't figure out how to even close the program... I actually had to go into Task Manager and kill the process.

Over the years, I kept coming back to Blender on occasion, without much better results. I would learn how to do one or two things each time, but found it far too cumbersome to work with. I could use it in a pinch, but it wasn't fun.

I wanted to learn how to actually use Blender effectively, so I bought a book that promised to help you "unlock your artistic potential and get the most out of Blender." While these claims are lofty indeed, the book itself has taught me a lot about the nuances of Blender, and has enabled me to use it much more efficiently than any of the online tutorials I've perused.

One of the most important concepts behind using Blender detailed in the book is "ohomohok" - One Hand On Mouse, One Hand On Keyboard. This is pretty much the golden rule of using Blender, as many tools and menus are quickly accessible from keyboard shortcuts. It also allows more control over translating, rotating, and scaling models. For instance, rotating a model 45 degrees on the Z axis can be as simple as pressing 'r', 'z', then typing '45' and tapping the Enter key.

I also learned that the MMB - or "Middle Mouse Button" - is a handy tool. Most people roll the scroll wheel, but never seem to remember that pressing down on it serves as a MMB. It can be used to navigate freely within the 3D view, and to split the views (which is handy when you want to view the model in one window and edit a UV map in the other).

Also, the book taught me what I needed to know for making game-appropriate models. From Mirror Modifiers, to face extrusion; from marking mesh seams, to unwrapping UV maps.

The only problem I had with the book is that the images are printed in black-and-white, and are in some cases a bit tiny. I can see them fine in decent lighting and with the book up close, but it can definitely be a problem for people who don't have the best eyesight (or, in my case, glasses).

If you're one of those people who need an affordable 3D modeler, I would now recommend Blender - something I wouldn't have done in years past. However, I would also highly recommend that you spend a little money on a decent book like I have. It really will be a big help in learning Blender's unique interface.

2 comments:

  1. I've poked around in blender many years ago, and I myself most say had no idea what, where, how to do things in it; Then again I'm not much an artist, or 3D modeler.

    So you think this book can unlock the art skills I don't have? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning to use Blender and learning how to make art are two totally different things. If you want to learn art, grab some "how-to-draw" books and practice the lessons until you get good with them.

    If you just want to learn how to use Blender, the book is great, though.

    ReplyDelete